Tuesday, September 11, 2007

August 2007

The first weekend in August was a bit of a drag because I had work and one of my patient's who I'd become very close to didn't make it but that meant that August could only get better. And it did. And continued to do so...

So the second weekend in August I had booked off months in advance to go to Dorset to do a marine mammal medic course. I got up at 5am on the Saturday and drove down to a village called Charmouth in Dorset. It is on what is called the Jurassic coast and it is beautiful coastline with stunnig cliffs and sandy beaches on which there are numerous fossils (not that I saw any that day since I didn't go looking in the places where you always find them but apparently they're there and for the taking and I can say this must be true since I saw genuine fossils in a shop seel for only a few pounds). It was a beautiful, clear sunny day and I got there early and sat on the beach for a while. At that time it wasn't crowded so it was lovely. And I looked in the shop at the fossils and was blown away by these ancient things (mainly ammonites which I recognised from the computer game "Eggsucker" - who said you don't learn much from mindnumbing computer games?).

I then went to lectures and met some lovely girls from a town nearby who were really surprised that I'd driven 2.5-3 hours for just the day and only come up that morning (seems I'm not Britainised yet where distances are concerned) We had lectures that morning on marine mammals and how to deal with strandings of cetaceans, first aid and also how to handle and examine seals. I loved it! Then we headed out after lunch on the beach for a practical which involved refloating a fake pilot whale and a fake dolphin and capturing and examine a fake grey seal. Loved it. Loved being in the ocean again and realised I hadn't been in the ocean since February and had missed it. The water was warm (in my 5mm full wetsuit and booties) and it was a beautiful sunny day and I felt downright pleased! It was quite entertaining also having the onlookers thinking the pilot whale was real and coming up to check what was happening. Since part of the course was how you have to deal with the public, I thought that was a nice touch that the public put in for us and they didn't even know they were doing it!

That night I drove back so that I could go to Lisa's birthday party but as you could imagine, I was exhausted and fell asleep well before anyone. I have now stunned Lisa and Jodie who I work with because they are surprise someone can sleep leaning against a wall and another time, in a nightclub on a seat. What can I say, I like my sleep and I won't compromise it for waiting for somehwere more comfortable!

The following weekend I spent with the girl's from work. Partied with Jodie and Lisa yet again but then on the Saturday night I had Amy over for dinner since I was to be away when she had he 21st birthday party. I cooked lasagne (one of the dishes I can actually do and well) and we had a great night. Eliza came to dinner too and I made garlic bread and a hastily prepared cake made of two vienettas stuck together and 21 candles saying 21. Then we hit the town of Wolverhampton and danced the night away at Reflex. Whenever we didn't like a song at Reflex, we'd simply go over the road to another bar for a bit of a dance.

Went home at close. The following day another rest day. Went to the movies with Eliza (it's become out thing to do).

The last weekend of August was a blast because Emma and I travelled to Malta. The reason for this was Em wanted a bit more diving experience before we went to the Red Sea so we took a four day weekend and flew to Malta for some fun in the sun and underwater.

And man was it good to get underwater again!! Not much in the way of fish life or anything compared to what I'd seen before but as anyone who's been diving with me knows, I wasn't really that fussed (although the octopus was wicked!). It was just so nice to be underwater again and feel the sensation of drifting around totally relaxed (although because dodgy dive operation the ends of the dives weren't as relaxed as I kept finding myself checking my computer) and not really thinking of anything in particular and being off in my own little world. Anyone who hasn't tried it really should. We saw a wreck which was really cool because I hadn't seen one that was so obviously a wreck before. Where you actually feel like you are exploring a boat. We also saw a diving monument underwater and when I said it was funny to see a monument underwater, the people working at the dive shop said there were a few around the island, but not specifically for diving. There is apparently one of the virgin Mary that people take flower down to regularly (I'm sure the flower remain in good condition at depth in salty water - thought that counts I suppose) and they also told me that there is a big statue of Jesus at 40m at one spot. I would assume I was narked I reckon!

Each night Em and I would got out to dinner and each night have cocktails at the bar by the pool and watch the sunset and enjoy the fireworks. Yes, fireworks. There are fireworks several times a day in Malta in Summer and we weren't sure why but possibly it is because they are paying respect to different saints at that time of year. We never actually found out for sure.I was pretty excited on the first day but at midday on the last day, it just started to make me laugh.

Our last night in Malta started out with the usual: Cocktails by the pool, then a couple of Cisks (Maltese beer) then off to dinner (where I had the BEST calzone ever!). After dinner we got back to the hotel to get ready to hit the town because we had received information from a local source that there was a place called "Partyville" where we could find lots of bars. By "local source" I mean a fourteen year old Norwegian boy who had moved to Malta 4 months before and seemed to know more that we did about where to find a bar.

Really it goes without saying that us 30 year old women had slightly different tastes in bars than Magnus. We knew we were going out on a limb taking advice from a 14 year old but then who could pass up visiting a place called "Partyville". After two drinks we left "Partyville" (which we found out was actually called Paceville (but to Magnus' credit is pronounced Parchaville by the Maltese - I suppose one hears what one wishes to hear).

So we had a day by the pool the next day before enjoying queues at airports and flying out. All in all a great weekend. And a great finish to August.

Now it's September and I have procrastinated packing properly but now have to do it. I am very excited but worried I won't get it all in my pack. In four days Emma, Snoozy, Becky and I will be in Egypt and I am planning to have the trip of my life in Africa!

But before that I have a few tearful farewells...