Thursday, April 8, 2010

Travels through Europe: Croatia

To be honest I didn't spend much time in Croatia. I got to Rijeka and took a bus the next morning for a 12 hour trip all the way down the coast to Dubrovnik because pretty much everything I read suggested this was the best place to go. Other places had ruins to see and such but I was pretty much ruined out after Italy so pushed on and saw the whole coast over the 12 hours. Also went through snowy mountainous areas. The coastline was stunning. It was a really windy day and the winds were causing amazing ripple patterns on the water. The wind was so strong that there was spray from the ocean which would have been about 50m or more below the road on which the bus was travelling.

After about 7 hours on the bus, I was pretty much looking forward to reaching my destination. I got to Dubrovnik after 10pm and made my way to the hostel. It was unfortunately closed. This was actually a lucky break though because I ended out staying in the middle of the walled Old Town in a private room with bathroom and also a communal kitchenette downstairs. It was basically 4 star and I was told to make myself at home and it was 20 euro a night. I stayed a couple of nights and explored inside the walls of Old Town with its marble streets the next y. Then walked around Dubrovnik. I checked out the option of diving because I couldn't resist but the water temperature was still only 11 degrees celsius and there wasn't anything open for that. Even the 5 star hotels were closed for the off season. So quiet. I climbed the hill in the centre of town and admired the views from there of the beautiful Adriatic coastline and islands and also the view of Old Town.

It was beautiful that is for sure but the next day, I took a bus to Kotor in Montenegro and the beauty there was breathtaking.