Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Zanzibar

So the next stop was Unguja, Zanzibar from the 22nd December to 6th January. I stayed north of Stone Town and found Stone town to be similar to Lamu with the narrow streets in which I would easily get lost with buildings either side.

The place where I stayed was a lovely little house with an outdoor raised hut where you could sit and look over the beach. I was in a "dorm" room which was actually a two bedroom room and I only shared it for half of my stay so it was a great deal. It was a friendly atmosphere and I was not far from Stone Town where I explored, went out and played pool with friends I made there and went for diving. I was actually not planning to go diving from Unguja since I planned to go north to Pemba (the northern island of Zanzibar archipelago) where I had heard there was much better diving once I left Unguja. But I couldn't help myself and did ten dives with One Ocean and found the reefs off Stone Town quite beautiful. I also planned to dive from Kendwa in the north and booked the dives but then unfortunately got sick New Year's Eve and had to cancel the diving and any celebrations I would have been having. But it had given me an excuse to get up to the north and see the beaches of Nungwi, Kendwa and Matemwe which are very beautiful (especially Matemwe which is quiet and not overrun by tourists).

Generally loved my time there and found it to be beautiful. But I was yet to see the beauty that is Pemba, beauty both above and below sea level!